An electric fuel pump is used with fuel injection systems in order to provide higher and more uniform fuel pressures. It is located in the tank.
1. Disconnect the battery, and then remove the fuel tank, as described at the end of this section.
2. With a hammer and non-metallic or brass punch, tap the fuel pump lock ring counterclockwise to release the pump.
3. Wipe the seal area of the tank clean and install a new O-ring seal.
4. Replace the filter on the end of the pump with a new one if it appears to be clogged or damaged.
5. Position the pump in the tank and install the locking ring. Tighten the ring (clockwise) in the same general way in which you loosened it-with the punch and hammer. Do not overtighten it, as this can cause leakage.
6. Install the tank as described at the end of this section.
7. Connect the negative battery cable.
8. Start the vehicle and check for fuel leaks.
When starting the engine, allow extra time for the system to pressurize itself.
Please consider a to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 1:04 PM