1991 DODGE DYNASTY TIMING BELT

• khelms
  • 1991 Dodge Dynasty

1991 Dodge Dynasty 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

I put a timing belt on a 2.5 dynasty after it broke on the car while somebody was driving it, I lined everything up put it on correctly, car starts right up, timing is on 12 btdc. But the engine sounds like its not running quite right, no power, could it have a bent valve from the belt breaking?

Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 11:24 AM

• caradiodoc

No bent valves. This is one dandy engine. It is not an interference engine.

Did you use the special tensioning tool? If it's running smoothly, just low on power, this is typical of a timing belt that is off by one tooth. I know you said it's on correctly but even professionals run into these problems.

Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 5:41 PM
  • khelms

No I do not have the tool for the tensioner, so I may be off a tooth, Thank you I will check it out.I did find some broken vacium lines.

Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 5:52 PM
  • caradiodoc

The tool is just a wrench handle with a weight on the end. It turns the eccentric thanks to gravity and puts the right amount of tension on the belt. Not using it doesn't mean the tension is wrong, but it's easy to over-tighten the belt without it. It doesn't mean the belt is off a tooth either. The best way to tell is to turn the crankshaft two complete revolutions in the normal direction, then recheck the timing marks.

One thing that commonly messes up the timing marks is installing the belt with the marks lines up, THEN tightening the tensioner. If there is any slack toward the front of the engine, the cam or crank has to turn when the slack is moved to behind the sprockets where the tensioner is. That slack might not move to the rear until the engine is rotated.

Broken vacuum lines are probably not a good thing. Happy you found them.

Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 7:48 PM
  • khelms

Thank you very much, I must be off a tooth, starts too easy too be anything else, I will check her out tommorrow, Kevin.

Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 8:48 PM
  • 2CarPros Linsey

Hi khelms, I hope you got your problem resolved. Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.

Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 AT 1:28 PM
  • khelms

Well shes not fixed yet, thinking the converter is pluged up now, it is in time like I said earlier, so tonight I take the exhaust loose and start it up, thankyou, Kevin.

Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 AT 3:42 PM
  • 2CarPros Linsey

Hey Kevin, how she doin? Did unbolting the exhaust work?

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 11:46 AM
  • khelms

No not good whatever it is, well looking at the overall condition of the car, its not worth going any further on this one. Lots of rust and large holes where the rocker panels used too be, guy up the road wants too buy it for the trans, thankyou for all your help, Kevin.

Thursday, April 29th, 2010 AT 6:33 AM
  • 2CarPros Linsey

Hi khelms, sorry you were not able to get your dodge going. Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future. Have a great weekend!

Friday, April 30th, 2010 AT 11:01 AM