ENGINE MAKING A PINGING NOISE WHEN ACCLE

1989 Dodge Dynasty

christian23

July, 16, 2008 AT 8:30 PM

1989 Dodge Dynasty 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I recently had a engine rebuilt, about 2 months ago. My car was running rough idle and stalled or shanked when starting in the mornings or when engine was cold. Some times it would turn of. I put a new O2 Sensor and it accelerated allot better. Then I changed the Map sensor and it stoped shaking rough idling and stalling when engine was cold. The vehicle is working alot better. Although I started to get pinging or rattling when accelerating from a stop and some times when accelerating in the streets. I do not noticed it when driving in the Highway at higher speeds.

Can you help me with this problem, please

4.2 Pinging

Jacobandnickolas

October, 24, 2008 AT 3:43 PM

Hi: It sounds like you may have a valve ping problem. It could be caused by a couple things. One of which is a low octane fuel. Try getting premium fuel once to see if that helps. If not, it could be a knock sensor.

A knock sensor allows the engine to run with the ignition timing as far advanced as possible. The computer will continue to advance the timing until the knock sensor detects pinging. At that point the computer retards the ignition timing just enough for the pinging to stop.

A knock sensor assures that you're getting as much power and fuel economy as is possible from your engine.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any other questions.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue