LACK OF POWER

1989 Dodge Dynasty

pyehle

March, 23, 2010 AT 2:39 PM

1989 Dodge Dynasty 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 36,000 miles

I just bought this 89 Dodge Dynaty yesterday. It belonged to and older couple that can't drive anymore. Its in really nice shape. The car sat alot in the garage and got little use if any the pasted two years. If I push the accelrator down past 1/4 she stumbles and falls flat on her face. If I hold the throdle wide open in nutreal it won't rev up enought to even worrie about causing engine damage from over reving. It starts hard espicaly after it's warmed up. It feels like its running lean, some times if I push it to hard it will back fire through the intake. I put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank last night. Do you have any other ideas what this might be? Thank you. Paul

legitimate007

March, 30, 2010 AT 8:55 AM

I would suspect several items would need some cleaning and changing. Is there a check engine light on?

pyehle

March, 30, 2010 AT 9:14 AM

No check engine. The engine starts fairly easy if I start it right back up, if it sits 20 or more minutes it start real hard. Im starting to think fuel pressure regulator. I didnt chnge fuel filter yet, but 1st I think I will check the fuel pressure before and after the filter.

legitimate007

March, 30, 2010 AT 12:17 PM

Correct, check it before and after, and listen for the fuel pump to come on when you turn the key to the start posiiton

legitimate007

March, 30, 2010 AT 12:18 PM

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Pump Replacement