HOW DO I CHECK FOR A BAD FRONT WHEEL BEARING?

Dodge Durango

WPopp

November, 26, 2007 AT 6:21 PM

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango with the 4.7L. It has 156000 miles on it. It is four wheel drive. When I had tires put on it recently, the tire tech told me that I had a wheel bearing starting to run dry and fail. How do I determine which side of the vehicle has a failing bearing? While driving, when I turn the vehicle left, I hear sort of a howling noise. I thought it was due to my tires, I run BFG All Terrains, but it doesn't make noise when I turn right. I have jacked up each side of the vehicle, and by grabbing the top and the bottom of the tire, checked for movement. I didn't feel any. Also, when I spun each wheel, the only drag/noise I heard was the brake pads against the rotors. I'm stumped, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Service Writer

November, 26, 2007 AT 6:34 PM

Pretty much the only other way I know of is to have it jacked up and pur it in drive, raise the speed a bit and listen for the source, a stethescope works well for this. Simply a long screwdriver or prybar, with your ear to one end and the blade at the spindle should help distinguish it.

frankiefuego

December, 25, 2007 AT 11:21 AM

If it is happening when you turn left, then it is probably your right bearing.

Wheel Bearing Pack - All Cars
Wheel Bearing Replacement
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer