TRANSMISSION SHIFTING PROBLEM

2003 Dodge Durango

waltb208

June, 10, 2009 AT 6:36 PM

2003 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

My durango has had an intermittent problem where it doesn't always drop back to 1st gear after coming to a stop. When I try to start moving I can tell it is in a higher gear, I drop it into L1 and it is fine until it happens again. The transmission was replaced about 10k miles ago under warranty, it is no longer warranted. My mechanic said it could be a trans solenoid. I am very handy and would opt to fix it myself. What do you think?

Thanks,
Walt

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

BMRFIXIT

June, 11, 2009 AT 6:17 AM

I would suspect the solenoids too
need to conform that by scanning for codes and or checking the tranny data
also would suspect speed sensors

The Input and Output Speed Sensors are two-wire magnetic pickup devices that generate AC signals as rotation occurs. They are mounted in the left side of the transmission case and are considered primary inputs to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
OPERATION
The Input Speed Sensor provides information on how fast the input shaft is rotating. As the teeth of the input clutch hub pass by the sensor coil, an AC voltage is generated and sent to the TCM. The TCM interprets this information as input shaft rpm.
The Output Speed Sensor generates an AC signal in a similar fashion, though its coil is excited by rotation of the rear planetary carrier lugs. The TCM interprets this information as output shaft rpm.
The TCM compares the input and output speed signals to determine the following: Transmission gear ratio
Speed ratio error detection
CVI calculation
The TCM also compares the input speed signal and the engine speed signal to determine the following: Torque converter clutch slippage
Torque converter element speed ratio

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma