PLEASE HELP!!!

1998 Dodge Durango

reginalee

August, 21, 2007 AT 2:19 PM

I have a 1998 Dodge Durango V8 5.2L with 150k miles on it. I bought it a little over a year ago, and had no problems with it. I was in moving and it broke down on the highway. It overheated, and underneath the hood there was watery antifreeze. At least that's what it looked like to me. And it no longer starts and the oil dipstick is stuck and I can't get it out, nor can anyone that has tried. I am at a loss. I need the vehicle now and I am wondering what is wrong with it, but I can't take it to a repair shop because it won't move and I can't afford to tow it just to find out what's wrong. I was hoping someone could give me some sort of idea of the issue so I could call around and get some pricing. Please get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you so much.

Service Writer

August, 21, 2007 AT 7:09 PM

Has there been any low coolant issues?

When you say it won't start, do you mean nothing happens when you turn the key or that it turns over, but just cranks and doesn't start?

reginalee

August, 21, 2007 AT 9:50 PM

There actually have been. It was leaking out into the passenger side floor. I know that the heater core was an issue, but it stopped and I didn't think it was a problem anymore. And when you try to turn it on, all the lights come on, like usual, but nothing happens after that.

Service Writer

August, 22, 2007 AT 5:06 AM

I don't like the way this is going. The heater core is the highest point of the system. If you haven't been checking the coolant and keeping it full, that would probably explain the overheating. I am concerned that you seized the engine.

The spark plugs need to come out and then the engine needs to be turned over by hand using a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut. If it doesn't turn by hand, loosen/remove the serpentine belt and try it again. If it still doesn't move, my fear is the engine is seized.

reginalee

August, 22, 2007 AT 8:19 AM

I was keeping the coolant full, and checking it weekly. But I will have someone do the spark plug turn thing. Thanks for your help.

Service Writer

August, 22, 2007 AT 7:16 PM

Kudos for keep an eye on the coolant. Good sign. Whit luck perhaps the water pump seized. After the belt is off, and (hopefully) the crank spins, check each pulley for any stiffness.

Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue