1985 Dodge Daytona charging problems

VICTORRONO
  • 1985 DODGE DAYTONA

1985 Dodge Daytona 4 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 102000 miles

well I have bought 2 alternators and I still have problems with my battery keeping charge. I go to work in the morning and by the time I get there I have to switch my battery to get back home because it has no charge. My work is only 25 miles away and I don't have anything else on but the essentials. Like I said I replaced the alternator, I don't know if its the computer near the battery. I don't know what to do. Please give me a few examples of what problems it might be and the solutions. I am very desperate. Thank you.

victorrono

Sunday, January 13th, 2008 AT 8:25 PM

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

You will have to do a current draw test. Remove the battery (+) and place an Amp meter between battery (+) and the removed cable, with key off and doors closed you should only have about.15 Amps max. If more there is a current draw any be a stuck relay. To locate pull fuses one at a time to locate the problem circuit. Then you will have somewhere to start looking.
It could be the regulator. I would have the system checked at a parts store. They have the equipment to let you know what is wrong.
If you have any other questions, let me know.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, January 14th, 2008 AT 4:11 AM