CAR WONT START!!!

1974 Dodge Dart

presley_88

October, 16, 2009 AT 7:56 PM

Computer problem
1974 Dodge Dart V8 Automatic 103000 miles

I started my car this morning and it started, but right when I started going it died. Normally it dies at night when we have the lights on. We tried to jump start it and even bought a new battery. Still doesnt work. None of the lights come on and when I turn the key its silent. We also got the alternator checked a couple weeks ago and they said it was good.I dont know whats wrong with it.

two66mhz

November, 4, 2009 AT 10:07 AM

If everything died when it died, it would be easy to assume you have a major power delivery problem. There is no easy way for me to tell you what is wrong.

Here is a starting point, inspect visually all the wires (a fuseable link could have fried). Start at the battery cables and make sure they have voltage. Make sure there is no corrosion on or in the cables (if it is inside you would see evidence of it on the out side); if there is clean it with a warm water baking soda solution. If there was corrosion present and is going inside the battery cable replace it. Just kinda run with this and look at your circuitry. No 2 electrical problems are the same.

74dart

February, 1, 2010 AT 12:37 PM

I have another possible avenue.I had a similar issue this last winter. In fact about about the same time. Due to a bad ground on a tail light and trying to find it and messin around turnin' this on and that on. Somethin popped and crackled in the steering column. And. That was it. I lost all power, I mean ALL. Sad. In the end, it was the amp regulator that was the culprit. It was dead. We did a bypass and in the process of pulling the steering wheel and dash, discovered the signal switch was fried to.(Probably the crackle we heard.)

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang