ABS Light and Emergency brake light

DABOOCRU02
  • DODGE DAKOTA
2000 dodge dakota 3.9 V6 5spd 4WD The check engine light and the ABS light are both on. I think they came on at the same time. I was not driving the vehicle it was returned to me that way. Also noticed the speedometer is a little lazy. It only works above 12-13 mph. Any ideas.
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 2:47 PM

MERLIN2021
If both lights are on check for leaks. And fluid level in the master.
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 3:07 PM
DABOOCRU02
Check for leaks and didn't find anything to the best of my lnowledge and the master cylinder is to the full line.
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 3:29 PM
MERLIN2021
That lazy speedo, has it turned on the check engine light yet? That sounds like a VSS, and could affect the operation of the computer to sense vehicle speed!
Thursday, October 18th, 2007 AT 6:08 PM
ORCHIDBS
My 1999 dakota seems to have the same problem. Exept my speedometer wouldn't start untill I reached 40 mph, then it went to 55mph. Then it just stoped. I have no cruise control. I replaced the spped sencor in the back of the transmission, but to no avail. Brake light and abs light came on at the same time. Check engine light a short time after. Can ya help?
Saturday, October 20th, 2007 AT 8:55 AM
DABOOCRU02
The check engine light is on and the code is P1491. Rad control fan relay. I have another post in as well on that problem but I think that I have it resolved thanks to this site. But as far as the check engine light being on this is the only code that I am getting. Not sure what VSS is but I think you are talking about the vehicle speed sensor. I am replacing the abs speed sensor located on the rear differential (if that is what you are referring to) to see if that fixes the problem. I will post any results that I have. Please reply with what the VSS is and if it is what I am talking about. Thanks for the help so far it is greatly appreciated to help eliminate all possibilities
+1
Saturday, October 20th, 2007 AT 11:26 AM
MERLIN2021
You might also want to check the body control module, if multiple systems are failing. The Valve on the differential is the anti-lock fo the rears. Works off the ring gear.
Saturday, October 20th, 2007 AT 12:50 PM
DABOOCRU02
The ABS Speed sensor located on the rear differential was replaced and it fixed the problem. The check engine light and the brake light are not on anymore. It was explained to me that only trucks that have rear drums brakes have a speed sensor on the differential. The speed sensors for the abs on four wheel disc brakes is located at the wheel. Hope this helps.
+1
Wednesday, October 24th, 2007 AT 8:19 PM