1999 Dodge Dakota Engine Will not start

G2B2
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA
Engine is getting gas and spark, turns over but will not start. Changed spark plugs and wires, rotor and distributor. Engine started before tune up but ran very rough.
Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 AT 7:32 PM

Hi:
When you checked for spark, were you getting a good hot blue snapping spark? Also, have you tried to see if it will start with starting fluid? Starting fluid is more volitale and will burn with a weaker spark. Also, when you checked for fuel, did you make sure the injectors are getting power?

Let me know.

Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 AT 9:42 PM
G2B2
Thanks for your answer Joe. The truck is getting a good spark when it turns over. I am not sure how the injectors are powered, but I have never had any problems with the injectors and I can smell gasoline so I am pretty certain that I am getting fuel through the injectors. The timing also seems to be set correctly.I have taken everything apart and reassembled it more times than I can count.I am at a total loss!
Wednesday, April 7th, 2010 AT 7:37 PM
If you have spark, fuel, compression, and the timing is correct, it has to run. Something is wrong with one of them. If you remove a plug, is it wet? I realize you are getting spark, but I'm wondering if it is hot enough.

As far as the injectors, for future reference, they make what is called a noid light. All you do is unplug the injector and plug the light in. When you crank the engine, it will light up (pulse) if there is power going to the injector.

Have you checked the engine compression? Also, if you can, after trying to start it, remove one of the plugs to see if it is wet with gas.

Let me know.
Wednesday, April 7th, 2010 AT 8:51 PM