1993 DODGE DAKOTA SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER INOP

• Ddawson24550
  • 1993 DODGE DAKOTA

1993 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

JUST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK, SPEEDO & ODOMETER DO NOT WORK. FOUND CABLE NOT CONNECTED AT TRANNY, JUST HANGING THERE. CABLE END IS SMALLER THAN RECEIVING END ON TRANNY. IS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A SPEED SENSOR IN BETWEEN? ALSO, ABS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT ON, HAS NEW BRAKES ALL THE WAY AROUND, AND FULL OF FLUID. ARE THESE 2 PROBLEMS RELATED?

Thursday, October 1st, 2009 AT 9:00 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

I believe there is a part that bolts onto the trans first, then the cable goes to it.

As far as the ABS / Check engine lights, I need you to check for codes. Here is how:

DO NOT START THE ENGINE!

1) With the key off, cycle it on and off (to the run position) three times.

2) The 3rd time, let it in the run position.

3) The check engine light will begin to flash. Each code will be a 2 digit number.

4) Count the flashes. It will flash, have a short pause, and then flash again. After it completed one code, there will be a longer pause before it starts the next code.

5) Keep track of the flashes and let me know what codes you find and I'll identify them for you.

6) When you see the code 55, that means it is done. Some will stop then, others may repeat the cycle.

Let me know what you find, and I hope this doesn't confuse you. If it doesn't make sense, let me know.

Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 9:34 PM
  • Ddawson24550

My husband came home this weekend and found the sensor on a junk truck and replaced. Speedo and Odometer now working, but abs and brake lights still on. He is out of town now, but I will tell him how to cycle the key and see what he comes up with. I'll get back to you as soon as I have the information. Thanks!

Monday, October 5th, 2009 AT 7:15 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Let me know what you find.

Monday, October 5th, 2009 AT 7:48 AM

Other Instrument Cluster Gauge Odometer Not Working Questions