1992 Dodge Dakota won't start

JAMES GUIDRY
  • 1992 DODGE DAKOTA
1992 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Before would start but run rough when cold, a little better when warmed up. Now it only tries to start, like not getting gas. Disc fuel filter turn on ignition and get gas from tank to filter. New plugs, wires, distributor and rotor(triple checked firing order, replaced one plug and wire at time)
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 7:36 PM

Do below to determine if its fuel or spark

Get a starting fluid or ether and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 7:43 PM
It does sound like a fuel problem. Have you checked fuel pump pressure?

Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 7:43 PM
JAMES GUIDRY
Yes, fuel pressure is o k. Changed throttle position sensor(was cracked), new idle air control, new hall effect sensor, tested map sensor o k. Used noid light on injectors o k. Have sprak to plugs, recently changed fuel filter, distributor, plugs, plug wires and rotor.
Tries to start but won't stay running. I need to check timing next. Running out of ideas

James
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 12:21 AM
JAMES GUIDRY

James
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 12:25 AM
Let me know when you check the timing. If you have spark, fuel and it's in time, the only thing left is compression. Let me know what you find. Also, how many miles are on it?

Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 10:32 AM
JAMES GUIDRY
Finally found the problem, clogged catalytic converter of all things. Well, have a lots of new sensors and vacuum lines. Should be in good shape for a while, truck has over 100k and belongs to son.

Thanks for the assistance
James
+1
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 10:29 PM