1987 Dodge Dakota Need Help!

MICHELLE CUSHMAN
  • 1987 DODGE DAKOTA
1987 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Been working on the truck every day. Same problem, have tried every possible solution to fix the distributor issue. It's getting spark from the coil to the distributor but not to the plugs.
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 8:51 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC
Hi Michelle,

Can you tell me what all you have done to try to fix the problem.

.
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 9:09 PM
MICHELLE CUSHMAN
My husband replaced the following for the Dist. Problem. Plug Wires Rotor Button Dist. Cap Pick-Up Coil Spark Control Computer. He also tested all the wires going into the pick-up coil, they were good. All the parts except the S.C.C. Were taken back and replaced, but still no spark.
Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 3:39 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, let see. He replaced the Ignition Coil right?

When checked for spark at the coil wire what color is the spark? it should be a Bright Bluish/White. If it isn't then check and make sure there is 12 volts going into the coil.

Also I am not sure with that year but there may be what is called a Ballast Resistor, it is usually located on the firewall somewhere and it is Ceramic. Here are a few pics of different ones.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_BallastResistor2prong_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_BallastResistor4prong_1.gif

.
Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 5:35 PM
MICHELLE CUSHMAN
My husband says the only Ballas Resistor is on top of the engine next to choke thermostat. Would that have something to do with it?
Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 6:05 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Does it look similar to one of the pics I posted. If so it could be your problem.

If it looks like the 2 prong restistor have him jump the terminal and see if it will start.

If not sure about the resistor, if you can take a pic and post it.

.

.
Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 6:39 PM