STARTER SOLENOID

1965 Dodge Coronet

Hobiewon

December, 28, 2009 AT 4:31 PM

1965 Dodge Coronet V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 64,000 miles

I recharged my battery by taking it out of the vehicle. When I replaced it, fully charged, there was some smoke that came from the wiring harness. I thought that maybe I had put the battery in backwards. So I switched the terminals. I heard a pop and now no lights or any power is available in the vehicle.

There is power to the starter solenoid but nothing after. Is the starter solenoid now fried?

If not, there is a fusible link blue wire that leaves the starter solenoid and goes to the wiring harness (where the smoke was). Would the fusible link be bad. How do you check that?

I see no damage due to burnt wires anywhere.

The picture shows the solenoid on the left and the wiring harness on the right. I removed the nut that holds the wire from the battery and fusible link blue wire. I have replaced it and removed the battery terminal so that the car is not receiving power from the battery.

Thanks!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/454861_Coronet_wiring_1.jpg

December, 28, 2009 AT 4:37 PM

Poke the fusible link with a test lite before and after the link it should light up both ways if not its open

Hobiewon

December, 28, 2009 AT 4:42 PM

My continuity meter indicated that there was a complete circuit and the wire should be good. Now what?

December, 28, 2009 AT 4:50 PM

The smaller black wire with the eyelid where does that go?

Hobiewon

December, 28, 2009 AT 5:00 PM

It seems to go to the top left resistor or starter relay.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/454861_Coronet_2_1.jpg

Hobiewon

December, 28, 2009 AT 5:40 PM

The yellow wire coming from the starting solenoid is also testing true to the wiring harness. Since I reversed the positive and negative on the battery, would the starter solenoid be bad?

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement