CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1992 Dodge Colt

mlampard

I had to replace the ecu on my colt 100e, 1.5l efi. When I put the rebuilt computer in (it cost me over $500 for the computer - no labour - which seems a little outrageous to me) and started the engine, a couple of things occured:
1. The engine wouldn't idle, so I had to increase the idle speed a ton
2. Engine was mis-firing, so had to play with distributor and advance the spark a tad (we'd had the distributor out, as we initially thought that was the issue)
3. The " Check Engine" light came on and does not go off

Any ideas on how to reset the light, or on what may be causing it to stay on?

Thanks a ton,
Marty.

bubba_koski

Quick tip before you put the computer in did you calibrate it? You need to calibrate it for the vehicle first. If not u need to, as far as the light take your positive cable off of the battery and put it back on if it comrd on then the computer aint programmed.

mlampard

I spoke to the guy who did the rebuild and he said that these computers are pre-calibrated, because all the vehicles are the same. It looks like it might be a valid warning, so guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it diagnosed - next trick will be finding the ecu plug-in for the scanner - does anyone know what it looks like?

Thx,
Marty