ENGINE OIL TYPE

Dodge Caravan

Welopez

October, 18, 2007 AT 12:47 PM

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L engine, automatic transmission, with approx 47,000 miles on it.

I recently had my oil & filter changed. Less than 2000 miles later, the engine began running slightly rough and shifting was erratic. I took my car to the dealer and, after computer diagnostic, the service rep informed me the onboard computer said the oil change business had put in the wrong oil. Because I didn't have any paper work on me, I paid $353 to have the engine drained and flushed and refilled.

When I returned home, I checked the service invoice and found the oil used at the previous oil change was 5W-20, exactly as specified in my owner's manual, the same type I've always used.

How does the computer measure oil viscosity during engine operation? Does this part fail frequently? No one I have talked to has ever heard of an " oil viscosity sensor, " but I get lots of chuckles when I ask.

merlin2021

October, 18, 2007 AT 3:48 PM

If you come up with the code, I will tell you what it means, how's that? I personally hav'nt hear of a viscosity sensor either!

Welopez

October, 18, 2007 AT 4:24 PM

Well, naturally the service rep didn't bother to provide a code, he just said the computer is telling them the engine has the wrong type oil. I'm just a dumb country hick. Not a mechanic, and I'm not inclined to disagree with " factory trained service personnel.&Quot; I'm 62 and retired, my previous experience has been as a paratrooper in the Army and a pit boss in Las Vegas. I can't say for certain that I've fallen for a scam or the facts were misrepresented by the dealer, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

I realize it's possible to measure oil viscosity under laboratory conditions, but I don't see any easy method to measure multi-viscosity oils under different operating temperatures. I would think the computer senses oil pressure within a normal operating range, but little more. If I'm wrong. This will be a learning experience for me, but I don't think it's worth $353! LOL!

merlin2021

October, 19, 2007 AT 2:53 AM

You may go down as one of the most expensive oil changes in history!

Welopez

January, 4, 2008 AT 11:02 AM

Well, I'm sure most people will admit, I've paid for the most expensive oil change in history. I was not expecting the dealership for one of the major auto manufacturers to resort to " scam" techniques.

I have since taken the vehicle to an independent garage and purchased the Dodge service manual for my vehicle. Now I have another problem.

On page 8E-15 of the manual, Fig 17 shows the PCM located in the engine compartment just forward of the battery. It's a very pretty picture. The problem is my vehicle has no PCM in that location, just two mounting holes which do not appear to ever have been used. I would say this is impossible in a vehicle with 46,000 miles.

Now what do I do?

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma