EMERGENCY BRAKE STUCK PLEASE HELP

Dodge Caravan

ramttid

June, 11, 2007 AT 7:31 AM

I have a 98 dodge grand caravan, it has about 215,000 miles. My wife parked on a hill near our apartment and set the emergency brake. Now the brake wont release on the drivers side rear. Some one told me to push and pull on the cable but it hasn't helped. I took the wheel off but can't get the drum off. Please help.

M_H_RITZEL

June, 11, 2007 AT 10:31 AM

The brake is locked up. Try going into reverse then forward, sometimes the brakes let loose.

ramttid

June, 11, 2007 AT 11:55 AM

I have tried that but the tire just slides

M_H_RITZEL

June, 11, 2007 AT 6:39 PM

When you release the e brake does the e brake cable for that wheel get loser at the wheel that is hung up?

ramttid

June, 11, 2007 AT 8:05 PM

No. When I shake the cable it will go in a little bit but won't release. The passenger side has alot of play in it.

M_H_RITZEL

June, 11, 2007 AT 8:28 PM

The problem sounds like the e-brake cable. You can loosen up the cable by the adjuster, the e brake won't work but you will be able to drive it. Before you do that spray lube on the cable and let it soak in. There is probably rust build up and the cable is binding on that side. Soak it with lube for a couple of days, move the cable around. It might break it loose. Let me know. If it was the brake you would have had the same amount of play as the free side.

Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet