99

1999 Dodge Caravan

robert hudson

May, 22, 2006 AT 12:43 PM

I own a 99 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport model with power everything, mileage 99500. Two months ago the battery light came on and the transmission jumped to low gear while driving at highway speed. I limped the vehicle to the shoulder and shut it down. When I tried to restart the van, the battery was dead. Took the van to a trusted transmission guy and he told me the problem was electrical, that when the alternator is shot it can cause this problem. Fine, I tested and replaced both the battery and alternator and everything was fine. Three days ago the battery light came on again. This time the car ran fine and when I shut it off and restarted it the battery light was off. Now the light comes on within a few minutes of driving. Any help would be graetly appreciated.

Why Is My Battery Light On?

1 IMAGE

Gen Light

vandragon

May, 22, 2006 AT 2:16 PM

You did not say how long ago this happened or if the altenator was new or a rebuild. How old is the battery and why did you take it to a trans shop? Does the van run ok with the light on, if so maybe the codes need to be cleared. You have a lot of miles on the van, could be a bad ground. Hell my 99 van only has 37000 on it and it's something new about every four months. Chrysler products are JUNK!

robert hudson

May, 22, 2006 AT 2:35 PM

The Battery and altenator are both new. I took it to the trans shop because the trans dropped to neutral at hwy speed. Once the van slowed down I had 1st gear and could pull it over. The battery and alt were tested and the battery was bad. After I put the new battry in, the same thing kept happeneing and I retested the alt ant it was bad. The old battery and alt were only three years old at the time. Now it has been 2-3 months since I replaced the battery and alt and the batt light is comimg on again like it did 2-3 months ago.

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML