LOUD HUMMING SOUND WITH STEERING

2005 Dodge Caravan

pdlane99

December, 1, 2009 AT 10:43 AM

Steering problem
2005 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

When the weather is cold, the power steering starts to make a loud humming sound. Noticed this a little last winter. During the summer, the sound went away. Now it is cold again and the sound is back. It sounds really bad. I power steering fluid seems to be ok. Is this just a matter of maybe changing the fluid?
thanks.

Tom4308

December, 5, 2009 AT 10:35 AM

I have used this product on my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan and it worked for me on the humming noise....here's the link for Lucas product...http://www.lucasoil.com/articlelist1-19/PowerSteeringTreatment
There's testimonies there also
The good thing is ,if it doesn't work, you get your money back.
Let me know how you make out

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/444093_pssl_12oz_1.jpg

Sammydad1

December, 22, 2009 AT 5:43 AM

Hi,

The problem is most likely a clogged filter in the resevoir.

You can replace the resevoir, or what I did to fix our 2003 Grand Caravan was to use a long thin phillips screwdriver and gently dislodge the filter at 90 degree intervals around the throat of the power steering resevoir. Our van has 92,000 miles and so far it has been fine since I did this repair. Now about 3 months.

You may need to add fluid afterwards once the fluid is flowing again.

Tom4308

December, 22, 2009 AT 8:38 AM

Hi,
Is that screen something you can see from the top?
Thanks, Tom

Sammydad1

December, 22, 2009 AT 9:06 PM

Hi,

The screen is, or should be, submerged under the fluid in the resevoir, assuming you have enough fluid to begin with.

As I recall, the screwdriver I used went in about 2 inches or so before I felt contact with the filter.

Dave

Tom4308

December, 23, 2009 AT 9:22 AM

Thanks.I'm going to wait till we get a day in the upper forties to try it. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Merry Christmas to you and yours !
Tom

Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte