2004 Dodge Caravan Need help with this transmission problem

ALIENX
  • 2004 DODGE CARAVAN
2004 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 kilometers

Hi everybody,

Some 3 weeks ago I had my van in a shop and had solenoid packs replaced. There was another error code and Mr. Transmission guys told me it was pointing to solenoid packs and that I have to replace solenoid pack, which I agreed of course.

Engine light never came back, so I guess that problem was solved.

However, last 2 weeks (a week after solenoids were replaced) I've noticed that when I'm coming to a full stop (traffic lights) it looks like engine surges just for a split of second and van slightly jumps in place like gears shifting does not work properly. Almost like it shifts in lower gear but that happens last tenth of a second before I come to a full stop.

Also, I've noticed this. When I am at stop, but still in Drive gear and holding my brakes, van is not as still as it was before. Before it was almost like I put it in Neutral, completely silent and still. Now I can hear that van is a little bit louder when in Drive and at stop (holding my brakes) and I can feel my steering wheel slightly shaking and shimmering.

Can anyone help with what am I looking at to fix here?

I also have to say that guys at Mr. Transmission were pretty weird at one point back then when they replaced those solenoids. ". Oh everything seems fine now, but you never know. If you feel your transmission feels kind of weird, just come back. It might be that your transmission fell apart. Then you are looking at few thousands to spend on fixing this. Just come back and we'll see what's happening." That sounded little dodgy.

Thanks in advance!
Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 9:21 AM

ALIENX
Bump.

Is there anyone who can at least give me some clue as to what is happening with my Van and where should I look for the fix.

Thanks in advance!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 10:29 AM
ALIENX
I guess no one can help me here. Or Christmas and New Year days off are already here.

Anyone, please? Thanks in advance.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 9:45 AM
PAMODIO
I think I have some what of a similar problem. I posted my problem also:http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2003-dodge-caravan-transmission-jumps-when-slowing-down-vt231830.html

Maybe it is the vehicle speed sensor, that tells the transmission when to shift - I'm just not sure.
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 7:54 AM
ALIENX
Thank you so much for your reply. Even though it did not give us (both) definite solution, I am happy I can share this with someone. Maybe it will be easier if we try to solve this together, as opposed to searching alone and feel completely lost.

Funny, neither of these two posts is answered. Not sure if that's some kind of a big transmission problem and no one can help us, or something else.

Please let me know if you find some solution. I'll do the same if I find it first.

Thanks again!
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 9:39 AM
PAMODIO
Thanks,
I visited many sites and it looks like the problem is the Input and Ouput "Transmission Speed Sensor"
I'm going to replace both in a few days. Total cost around $38 at Advance Auto Parts.
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 2:53 PM
ALIENX
Thank you so much once again!

Yes, It is so inexpensive I will do it anyway, even if that's not the case. I am sure it's never replaced in the past, so this will be a little refreshment anyway.

Please, let me know your results if you do it before I do this. I am not sure I will be able to mess with this before Friday (Dec.26th)

It's just I would be really happy if we could get some opinion from experts here in this forum. Just for the peace of mind.

Thanks again!
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 6:00 PM
ALIENX
Both sensors came in today (Output Speed Sensor and Turbine Speed Sensor). Have to decide what I'm going to do... am I going to install them myself or ask my good friend to do it for me at his car shop.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/63461_IMG_5206_1.jpg

+1
Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 8:57 AM
PAMODIO
I replaced both the input and output speed sensor on my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. It shifts better in all gears but It still slightly shifts abruptly around 30 mph. At 30 mph the rpm goes down to 1000, then it seems to shift possibly from 4th to 2nd. Amy way's it is better bit not 100% - any other ideas?
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 6:45 AM
ALIENX
Exactly the same situation here. I just came back home from my car mechanic's shop. They replaced it in less than 1/2 hour and charged me $35 CAD. I got both sensors replaced and it really looks a lot better than before. I've noticed it "jumped" but slightly only once on my way back home (some 15 km away). It could also be that engine computer is in learning state now, not sure.

Overall, it looks a lot better than before but it would be really good if we can find out what's the main culprit here.
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 11:22 AM
PAMODIO
OK. I have seen some writing about the computer needing to recalibrate, etc. Some internet site actually has a proceudre for retraing the computer

Maybe according to what you are sayiing (andthe web site) the computer needs some time to recalibrate the shift points?

As I said before, my wife confirmed, it shifts better, but still jumps a little around 30 mph
I guess we will keep working on it.
+1
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 4:47 PM
ALIENX
Yes, that's what we should continue doing I guess. I'm sytill puzzled as to why no expert in this forum wants to give some input. I am sure it would help a lot.

I don't believe retraining the computer can give any bad results, I remember I had to do the same thing with my old car (Geo Storm, 5 speed manual), although it had nothing to do with transmission, it was similar procedure.

Sure, I will keep checking this post, let's try to help ourselves.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year my friend!
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 5:10 PM
ALIENX
Still no progress on this thing. I guess I should go back to Mr. Transmission and ask them to retrain my transmission. There is nothing else left :(
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 9:57 AM
ALIENX
Little update. Not sure if you're still watching this thread, but I've decided to post this anyway.

For some reason, this problem did not have anything to do with transmission or retraining it for that matter.

I've got another error code 4 days ago, went to my buddy's car shop, got it checked out.

It was P0404.

Replaced my EGR valve same day, and the problem I had with that slight jumping when coming to a full stop went away. Car runs perfectly like I always remember it.

Even though my problem is gone, I'd appreciate if there is someone who understands these things a lot better than I do, so he/she can at least try to explain what this EGR valve has to do with the problem I had and explained in one of my previous posts. How come it's fixed just by replacing EGR valve?

I am sure it could help others with this same problems as well.

Thanks in advance!
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 11:20 AM
NORTHERNLITES
Thanks for the post about the egr valve. I think I am going to give this a whirl. It's a hell of a lot better than replacing rear brakes or rear struts if unecessary. These are the same issues I am having with my 2004 Dodge Stratus. Plus the check engine light kept coming on with an evap or purge symptom. Hoping this egr valve is the trick. Thanks
Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 12:03 AM