2003 DODGE CARAVAN VAN IN LIMP MODE

• sandman31
  • 2003 Dodge Caravan

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

i have a 2003 caravan with 125000 kms on it drove the van one day ran fine not a problem next morning started it got 10 feet out of driveway and engind light came on as I drove further sounded like it was revving high found out later it is in limp mode tranny only shifts into second code comes up Engine Speed Input Circuit dealer told me it was either input or output sensor on tranny changed both no difference I still have my speedometer do you know what might be causing this problem

Sunday, December 28th, 2008 AT 8:41 PM

• Zackman

Usually, with A604 transmission, changing both input and output sensor solves the problem. If it doesn't, then you need to check the transmission control module, before you replace it.

Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 10:29 PM
  • sandman31

Already changed both speed sensors as well as crank position sensor does the computer reset it self or does that still have to be done by dealer the code coming up is p0700 and p0725

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 3:07 PM
  • Zackman

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
P0725 Engine Speed input Circuit Malfunction

You don't have to go back to the dealer. Autozone and CSK/O'Reilly can reset the computer for you. You can also unplug the negative battery terminal for more than 30 minutes to reset it yourself, but then you have to reset your clock and radio stations, and stuff, and the computer has to re-learn everything else. Based on the codes (P0700), I believe you have to replace your transmission control module. That was what I had to do with mine several years back.

Thursday, January 1st, 2009 AT 5:20 PM