2002 Dodge Caravan Flashing Exterior Lights

JULIEMOM
  • 2002 DODGE CARAVAN
Headlights and parking lights in front are alternately flashing like hazards, tail lights also flashing. I had parked for a moment and shut the van down, when I started it this began. It won't stop flashing even when I turn it off and take out the keys. Yes, I did double check that I hadn't accidentally somehow hit the hazard button. Tried turning switches on and off, turning van on and off, then husband and I tried the fuses (all of them!) Removing one of them stopped the clicking relay and parking lights and tails flashing, but headlights are still blinking on and off now. Going to disconnect the battery tonight so as not to drain it. Trying to pay a mechanic right now makes me want to cry, just lost my job. Anyone have any ideas?
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 8:04 PM

BMRFIXIT
Its the security system (alarm)
if u do not have the clicker for it
try to use the key to lock and unlock the doors
and if that did not work disconnect the battery negative side
place key in the ignition and turn it to ON
reconnect the battery and start
let me know

need manual CHECK IT @
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm
+2
Thursday, October 30th, 2008 AT 6:21 AM
JULIEMOM
I did some research into a number of forums last night, and found out 2 things. 1: After being disconnected for over 20 minutes from the battery, the electrical system should supposedly "reset" itself, and this might solve the issue. 2: 2001 and 2002 Caravans supposedly have chronic problems with the connection between the fusebox and the "FCM" (front control module). Others have solved intermittant headlight problems by removing the FCM, cleaning connections, applying some grease, and even putting a washer or two on the screws holding it on before reseating it, and this has improved that connection and fixed their electrical system gremlins. I was prepared to mess with that if necessary but hoped that it wouldn't be necessary.

So after being disconnected (the negative line on the battery) all night, I went out and did what you said, put the key in there turned to "on" and reconnected it. My headlights are no longer flasing and everything seems to work correctly! Don't know if it was the security system like you say (because I wasn't even aware I HAD one) or the electrical system "reset". But whatever the case, it is now fixed. I'm a happy camper and my kids don't have to miss their trip to the pumpkin patch today. WE ALL THANK YOU!

Happy Halloween.

Julie
+2
Thursday, October 30th, 2008 AT 12:18 PM