2001 Dodge Caravan Revs

SHERMDOG
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
My Caravan seems to run fine for the most part. It is only when I reach speeds of 55 or 60 mph and I try to pass something the engine revs up and the rpm gauge is reading between 55000 to 60000 rpms (almost redline) before it finally settles back out. I am not unnecessarily stomping the gas pedal to the floor or anything like that. Also not sure if this is related to the same problem but the radio has died and all I see are two equalizer lights blinking on and off constantly when there is power to the radio. Any idea what this could be?
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 6:45 PM

BMRFIXIT
Check fuses for the radio would be a 1st step
do you have check engine light on and if so get the codes
let me know
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 6:48 PM
SHERMDOG
I checked the error codes but unfortunately I had disconnected the battery terminal in hopes that it would reset the radio. It didn't. The only error codes that it gives me now is a P1684 - the battery terminal was disconnected within the last 50 starts. When I find out more I will let you know. Thanks for your help.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 7:34 PM
For all practical purposes, your radio is not repairable. You have either the cassette version or the cd version AM / FM radio. These are built by Chrysler with a microprocessor made by North American Philips, (NAP), the same people who make the really crappy Magnavox and Philips tvs. These microprocessors have a 100 percent failure rate. I have the special equipment to replace them, but then the software has to be "burned in" for the specific application. They will never sell me the expensive equipment to do that.

There is a list of about 30 different symptoms these radios develop, from going dead for five seconds when moving a tone control, loss of volume, no response when changing stations, etc. But by far, the most common symptom is flashing yellow leds in the tone controls, a thumping in the speakers, and the radio is dead. I have about 20 of these here already. The only difference from your description is all the radios I've ever seen with these problems have three tone controls, not two. If yours indeed has only two tone controls, I'd like to know the model number so I can add it to my list.

The good news is there are other radios built by Mitsubishi that are very high quality and are a direct replacement. There is one model of cassette player that has the same three tone controls with yellow leds, looks exactly the same except it has one extra button for "Scan", uses the same plugs, and will run the same optional cd changer. These sell for around $70.00 on eBay because used car dealers all over the country are looking for them to fix cars on their lots.

This is also a good time to upgrade to a cd / cassette combo. These are built by Mitsubishi too, and they look the same and run remote cd changers too. They typically sell for $175.00 to $225.00 which is considerably less than the cost of repairing a cassette player through the authorized service centers.

The higher end cd-only units are mostly built by Alpine. They have a lot more trouble than the Mitsubishi radios, and Alpine will not allow the repair centers to sell me parts or service manuals. I can still fix them but it takes longer.

It is quite common for radios like yours to develop problems when something else happens such as disconnecting the battery or having a charging system problem. My feeling is the other problem did not cause the radio failure, but it might have hurried it up a little. Most of these radios didn't last this long either; almost all have failed by now. You have to watch what you buy for a used one because you don't want to get another one that has the same problem.

The Mitsubishi radios are much higher quality than anything you'll find in the aftermarket, and they're pretty easy to replace. No silly programming is required like on GM cars. If you can't find a suitable replacement, holler back for more information. I sell and repair these at the nation's second largest old car show swap meet, and I repair them for dealers around WI.

caradiodoc@verizon. Net
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 12:24 AM