REPLACING THE REAR BRAKES

2001 Dodge Caravan

FYIGeek

October, 31, 2009 AT 12:05 PM

Brakes problem
2001 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic n/a miles

Ok, I recent had to replace my front brake witch is done now but the mechanic refused to replace the back ones.

I have done them before, so I went down and bought new pads and also to be on the safe side new inner parts as well as updated tools.

My Q is, is should I know anything before I start, or is there an online diagram I can printout so I can get them in 100% winter is almost here.

The mechanic said it was a lot more complicated then my truck and reffered me to this guy who wants 600 bucks to install um, I said no that's to high I believe.

Front Disc Pads

Rear Brake Pads

merlin2021

October, 31, 2009 AT 12:36 PM

Need to know if you have dic or drum in the rear?

FYIGeek

October, 31, 2009 AT 1:27 PM

It has drums in the back, I was just doing to update this topic I found a video of a dodge mec. Replacing the brakes it looks the same to me idk why that guys wanted so much.

But should I also replace the brake clynder/whatever it's called it is old.

merlin2021

October, 31, 2009 AT 1:29 PM

I would, it's called the wheel cylinder and Autozone sells them for under 20.00 each, replace both! You may find getting the drums off, is the hardest part, then the " C" clip on the shoe may need to be replaced due to rust.

FYIGeek

October, 31, 2009 AT 1:38 PM

Lol " You may find getting the drums off, is the hardest part" usually is.

I was felling that replacing bolth would be safer I just hate bleeding it it's a pain for me.

But thanks for the help I will go get it started.
Looks like I have to wait the cylinders are on order 12 bucks aint bad lol thanks for your time.

merlin2021

October, 31, 2009 AT 1:51 PM

After you get the shoes back on, just open the bleeders until they drip, it's called gravity bleeding and works well.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front