1999 Dodge Caravan alarm wont shut off

WRECKED77
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN
1999 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 78xxx miles

hi after about a year of my moms van sitting in her garage. She decided to sell her van. So obviously the battery was dead. I replace it with a brand new battery. Now when I open the door, the dash lights, and parking lights start flashing like the factory alarm is going off.

so I start the car, drive around the block and still the alarm keeps going off. What would cause this. Do I have to "reset" something because I put a new battery in?

thanks for any help!

chris
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 3:10 PM

Unlock one of the front doors with the key.

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 10:59 AM
WRECKED77
I tried that. I know the keypad has a dead battery. Im gonna try and get a new battery for that and lock and unlock the doors with that and see if that works.

Thanks for the reply
chris
Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 11:11 AM
The remote should work too. If it does, and the doors don't, look for broken wires between the door hinges, or the switches are broken or disconnected.

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 11:51 AM
WRECKED77
Ok I tried everytihng I could think of. Still the alarm keeps goin off while I drive the van? Any ideas?
chris
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 12:04 PM
Actually, if you're driving the van, it isn't in theft mode. The only thing the dash lights and running lights have in common is the Body Computer. That computer adds a lot of complexity and unreliiability to otherwise simple circuits. Unfortunately there is no easy way to test it other than to replace it. It sits up high against the firewall, inside the passenger compartment, ahead of the brake pedal. It unplugs when you pull it down, that's why troubleshooting is next to impossible.

Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 1:07 PM
WRECKED77
Idk if this helps but when I turn the headlights on the lights stop flashin. Thanks
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 1:18 PM
The dealership mechanics, and some independent shops with hand-held computers that can access the Body Computer can use it to activate various functions and to read the state of the sensors and switches feeding the computer That will give some clues as to whether the computer is acting up or if it is responding to something.

Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 1:27 PM