VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR

1997 Dodge Caravan

sinker39

February, 24, 2010 AT 6:27 PM

1997 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

I changed both the input and output sensors at the transmission, but also have a Vehicle speed sensor to install.I cannot find where the vehicle speed sensor is located on the vehicle. Can you help me find where this part goes. The car is not shifting well. Staying in first most of the time.2nd gear if we are lucky.

February, 24, 2010 AT 6:38 PM

Hi sinker39,Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation.

Vehicle Speed Sensor is located on transmission.See diagram below:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ss_2.jpg

sinker39

February, 24, 2010 AT 6:56 PM

So, what I get from your answer is there are indeed all three sensors on the car? Input, output and Vehicle Speed Sensor.I am having a hard time telling what I am looking at from the diagram you sent me. What am I actually looking at, and where is this Vehicle speed sensor in relation the input and output sensors? Thanks
Nick

February, 24, 2010 AT 7:29 PM

3.0, 3.3 and 3.8 liter engines all the VSS is on the transmission

jpoliver

July, 15, 2012 AT 2:18 AM

Sinker39, I too have a 1997 Dodge Caravan. Speedometer and odometer have stopped working and transmission is in "limp mode" (i.E, 2nd gear). I was going to replace the transmission input & output sensors, but Autozone is wanting to sell me their SU394 vehicle speed sensor (which is different from the transmission input & output sensors I am seeing for sale). So - did you determine if there really is a third sensor (this VSS, separate from the transmission input & output speed sensors) and, if so, where it is on the transmission?

Thanks, John : )

rivermikerat

July, 20, 2012 AT 1:57 AM

The input and output sensors tell the computer when to cause the transmission to shift. The VSS works with the ABS system and the speedometer.

jpoliver

July, 20, 2012 AT 2:28 AM

Thanks for your reply. I found out that for 1997 Grand Caravans, the 3 speed transmission has a third sensor (a three wire vehicle speed sensor, different from the transmission output sensor), but that my 4 speed transmission vehicle uses the transmission output sensor as the VSS.

I ordered some new ones, but when I went to replace the old ones, took out the air filter cover part, I saw that my output sensor was not connected. After looking a while, I found the cable lying on another rubber pipe. I connected it back up (keeping my existing sensors) and it's working (speedometer, odometer, and no longer in limp mode)!

rivermikerat

July, 20, 2012 AT 3:20 AM

Great! Glad to hear it was just one of those DOH! Factor things. Thanks for letting us know.

Closing the thread.