TRANNY STICKS IN SECOND GEAR

1996 Dodge Caravan

Haydensnana

March, 4, 2010 AT 2:19 PM

1996 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 362, 00 miles

Have a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan. Few months ago my van started staying in second gear while driving. Thought tranny problem, and limp mode BUT if you shut it off and restart, it shifts properly. Had it scanned at a tranny place and they said broken wire somewhere. Took a whole afternoon and traced and checked EVERY wire, fuse, fuse panel, and all connections. Could not find a broken wire anywhere. Have been driving it like this ( soon as we see RPMs at 2500 0r 3000 at 60-70 kph -- put it in neutral and restart and RPMs drop to 1500) since the fall. We are seniors on disability and cannot afford to take it in for them to try different things till they find the problem. Hubby has been a mechanic for many years but this has him stumped. He was wondering what the possibility is of the problem lying in the computer as the shifting can be rectified almost EVERY time with a restart. Seems like a connection issue of some sort just not sure where. Can you advise please?

BMRFIXIT

March, 4, 2010 AT 6:53 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic9_57.jpg

What do you have for codes ?
suspect a tranny solenoid pack

Haydensnana

March, 5, 2010 AT 6:13 AM

Thank you for your quick response.

Don't remember the actual codes now but it suggested the broken wire. That was it.

I did forget to add one point. Before the restart will work to drop the RPMs and shift, the motor has to warm up. Been watching --- the heat gauge has to come up in order for the restart to work. If the van is cold, it will NOT engage. So have to drive in second gear and take it easy till that heat gauge comes up.

BMRFIXIT

March, 5, 2010 AT 8:53 PM

Codes should help for sure
I would still suspect tranny solenoids pack or speed sensors

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda