1996 Dodge Caravan

EAMUHAMMAD
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN
1996 Dodge Caravan Two Wheel Drive Automatic

JUST GOT A TUNE UP AND WHEN I STOP MY CAR SHUTS OFF IT COMES BACK ON BUT I HAVE TO GAS IT AND THROW IT IN DRIVE TO GET MOVING AGAIN. THEN IT WILL GO A WHILE RUNNING JUST FINE THEN WHEN I STOP IT WILL DO THE SAME. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 5:36 PM

Hi EAMUHAMMAD. Welcome to the forum. If the engine stays running if you hold the gas pedal down a little, the battery was probably disconnected and the Engine Computer lost its memory. It will need to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. To do that, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 6:50 PM
EAMUHAMMAD
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME AND THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION I WILL TRY THIS AND IF THAT ISNT IT DO YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IT MAY BE?
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 8:10 PM
The need to do this relearn procedure is REAL common. The clue is the engine will run fine if you hold the gas pedal down about 1/8".

If the engine cuts out and stalls while driving, that's a different symptom. Most commonly that is due to a failing crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. When the Engine Computer detects the missing signal from one of them, it will memorize a diagnostic fault code and turn on the Check Engine light.

It takes a little practice, but you can read the codes yourself by watching the flashing of the Check Engine light. Cycle the ignition switch three times from "off" to "run" within five seconds, then wait for the light to flash the two-digit codes. It will start with a single flash, a short pause, two flashes, a longer pause, (that's code 12), then additional codes will flash the same way. Code 12 just means the ignition switch was turned off recently. Note any other codes, then it will end with code 55 which means "end of message". If you miscounted, the sequence will start over on most models if you just turn the ignition switch off and back to run once.

If the engine ever starts to crank while you're cycling the ignition switch, you'll have to stop, wait a few seconds, then start over. Cranking the engine stops the code display function.

Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 AT 3:22 AM