1994 Dodge Caravan stuck in second gear or maybe limp-in-mo

DANGINA
  • 1994 DODGE CARAVAN
Our Carvan is driveable but it will not come out of second gear. I changed transmission filter and fluid. Reset computer by taking out the battery. I get code 12 55. What could be our problem? Could you tell me what to check next please?
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 5:53 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Did you change the filter in hopes of fixing the problem or did the problem happen after the filter and fluid change?

You must use a particular fluid that is compatible with atf +4.
-1
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 6:02 PM
DANGINA
I changed the filter after the problem began. The van had been parked for 3 years. Here is what it did
1-first transmission started to slip.
2- suddenly it got hung in second gear.
3- then filter and fluid was changed.

Use the fluid you listed.
+1
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 9:11 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Make sure the battery is fully charged. The 12 code has to do with the loss of power from the Battery.

The 55 code has to do with the instrument cluster.

Was the problem present 3 years ago, or is this new?

IT is stuck in limp mode due to inadequate power or a transmission problem. Not all scanners can read for transmission codes. IF the battery is fully charged there should be transmission codes present.

IF not then you need to start checking for a signal loss to the tcm, such as an ignition switch problem that is not sending a signal.

If the problem was not there 3 years ago, I wauld start checking connections and the tcm for any corrosion as time can do that. May need to check for continuity to be sure power is not being halted.

Also an EATX relay can cause a limp in mode with no fault codes.
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 4:39 AM