2000 DODGE AVENGER CAR DRIVES IN ONE GEAR

• GonzBills
  • 2000 Dodge Avenger

2000 Dodge Avenger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My son has a 2000 dodge avenger. Car is driving in the same gear and will not change. This happened overnight. Speedometer will not work now. Sevice Engine soon light was on I had auto zone diagnoise the problem. They said it was a malfunction of the transmission control module. I have looked and called many auto part places and they say this car does not have a TCM. Can someone please give me some guidance. Where can I buy this part? Does this part exist for this car? Where is it located on the car?

Sunday, November 9th, 2008 AT 3:42 PM

• Zackman

Although Dodge Avenger is a rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipse with Mitsubishi-built 2.5L motor, it uses Chrysler-built trans, and it does have a TCM. You cannot find a TCM from any auto part stores, as it is only available from the dealer or a wrecking yard. You have to make sure you get the same number on the "new" one with your old one. As far as I know, Chrysler made four different TCMs from 95 - 00 model year.

I am looking at a Dodge Stratus, but yours should be about the same. It is a silver box under the hood, in between your air filter box and your upper radiator hose.

Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 10:36 PM