FRYING ALTERNATORS

1987 Dodge Aries

slugbeast

October, 2, 2009 AT 6:37 PM

1987 Dodge Aries 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60,000 miles

the voltage on my car seemed a little low so I decided to replace the alternator. I replaced it and the voltage went up to where it should be. The battery died a few days later so the car ran off the alternator for a while being jumped a few times before I bought a new battery. After getting the new battery things went back to normal for a few days. Then the voltage started getting lower, the alternator had died. I went and put another new one in and it worked for a day, now brand new alternator #2 has stopped producing electricity. I have coated as many electrical connections as I can with silicone dielectric grease and looked for shorts but haven't found any clues.

My Alternator Quit Charging

Charging System Trouble

October, 2, 2009 AT 6:51 PM

Check if it has an external voltage regulator its job is to regulate the alternator output

slugbeast

October, 2, 2009 AT 7:31 PM

Its controlled by the SMEC in my aries. When I ran the diagnostic the two codes that came up were " charging system voltage too low" (no surprise there) and " voltage sense" haynes manual says this about that code: " No voltage present at logic board during controller operation" So even though I put dielectric grease on the harnesses of the SMEC it still doesn't get any electricity? Do you think installing the new alternator (which entails unhooking the battery) and thus resetting something makes alternator work for awile.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated, i'll do more diagnostic work and experimenting tomorrow.

October, 2, 2009 AT 7:38 PM

Check and test the power module at left fender side shield

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_aries_charge_circuit_1.jpg

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue