Engine stalls at idle

RUSTY DECKARD
  • 1994 CHEVROLET TRUCK
My truck runs great at idle but soon as you put it in gear it tries to shut off. I can push the gas down enough that it will stay running but coming to a stop while pushing on the brake it isles down really low starts to lurch with the brake applied then will shut off. This only happens when it is colder then thirty five degrees outside which is a lot in Alaska. I have replaced the distributor, cap, plugs, wires, ten injectors and injector wires, IAC, TPS, pressure regulator. Still all with no change.
Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 AT 10:30 AM

KEN
This sounds more like a transmission torque converter locked up, do me favor when you are coming to a stop slip it in neutral to see if the engine stalls. If not, out it back into gear, if it stalls you have your problem figured out.

It also can be a vacuum leak at the throttle body which is have seen before lets run down this guide for me please.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/stall-at-idle

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 AT 7:15 PM
REY-GTS
Yep I had this program not in Alaska though lol. I had to replace the IAC motor all fixed! I love this site.
Saturday, September 29th, 2018 AT 6:13 PM
VETTESLAVE
  • 1994 CHEVROLET TRUCK
Engine Starts great. Runs good at highway speeds. When it reaches normal operating temp. And you stop in gear it stalls out. Then starts up with no problem.

I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter.
Saturday, September 29th, 2018 AT 6:15 PM (Merged)
Has the check engine light come on? Have you checked for vacuum leaks or EGR problems?
STEVEW/94
  • 1994 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I have checked and replaced fuel pump, regulator. Injectors, oxy, map, coolant, knock
sensors, did a valve job and replaced distributor, coil, plugs and wires and ECM.
Truck will not idle unless map or collant sensor dissconnected. Fuel has 15lbs and plenty of volume
bur engine is lean, lean lean.
Any suggestions
DOCFIXIT
The fuel pressure is to low it should be @42psi
STEVEW/94
All my specs say 9-13 lbs
DOCFIXIT
My bad thought 94 went to EFI so you are throttle body. Get your timming light hook up run truck point light at injector to see spray pattern. Should be no drips and 360 deg pattern. If not inj fouling and causing lean. Also rev up make suer both are functioning.
STEVEW/94
My timing is right on and I have installed new injectors with full 360 deg spray (checked and double checked that injectors are correct size) Installed all new O-rings so I have no drips. Cleaned IPS and IAC today with no change. It will not idle when cold, it dies and even if throttle is held to 2000rpm is still dies. After warm up it idles. But choppy. Im thinking about changing throttle body and installing adjustable pressure regulator. What do you think?
BOBBY71
How is the vacum? Check egr out. May be stuck open! Or egr valve diafram broken put vacum pump on it see if it holds. And check vacum lines. Before spendind anymore money
-1
SPUNKYLADY
  • 1994 CHEVROLET TRUCK
1994 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

The truck starts but will not stay running unless you pump the accelerator. We change the fuel filter and checked to make sure it was getting gas through the line. It acts like it is running out of gas but its not.
Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light.
RAULETTA
  • 1994 CHEVROLET TRUCK
1994 Chevy Truck Two Wheel Drive Automatic

OK. HOPE U HAVE SOME TIME. (Sorry for cap lock). I have a 1994 chevt truck frame National RV w/ a 454. (Chassis and engine are actually 1993). I purchased it for $2500.00. Apparently it was purchased used in 2006 and ran great for a couple of years. Then the problems began. When the enging is started it stalls, and won't idle. If I disconnect the temp sensor then it idol's fine. Under a load it doesnt run well. No error codes come up (unless I disconnest the temp sensor). On diagnostice "lean condition" came up
stuff changed:MAP, Throttlebody injectors, plugs, cap, rotor, wirers, pcv, computer
stuff checked : compression fine, stalls right out when TBI intake blocked, vacuum, fuel, fuel pressure.I reconditioned the egr which was stuck.
DR LOOT
If I had to place a bet on it I would say the EGR
RAULETTA
Thanks for the reply. I can look into that next. I am in the process of removing the catilytic converter. To bypass this and chech if perhaps it's plugged. I doubt it but 3 seperate mechanics have suggested I do this.

Bummer- the engine pipe is not only clamped but welded to the cat.
DR LOOT
Before you go through all that work, tell me if you can hold your hand over the exhaust and plug it, is it very easy, and how long you can hold your hand on their before you lose it, make sure you wear a glove if the truck is hot.
SMALL12B
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I have a 1995 Chevy s-10 (170,000 miles) that won't idle when cold and runs rich.

Here's what I have done so far:

Changed the distributer, wires, plugs, rotor, cap, cooling temp. Sensor, idle air control, computer (but not the PROM chip), and coil. The fuel filter has been changed, there is no water in the gas and I have checked the ignition timing.

The spark coming from the coil to the cap is blue, but the spark coming from the end of the wire to the plug is orange. Also, I cannot pull an error code from the computer, I am getting a link read error instead.

When it does run, if it ever backfires when shutting off, it won't idle when started again. If it does start, I can bring the RPMs up, make it backfire, and it runs fine.

Any suggestions?
+1
MCFERRANCE
Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Is there water in the gas? Have you checked ignition timing?
SMALL12B
The fuel filter has been changed, there is no water in the gas and I have checked the ignition timing.
MCFERRANCE
What engine is this?