Computer failed due to a crank sensor problem

JASON SHACKFORD
  • 2008 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
I am buying the car listed above it is a five speed. I was told the crank sensor had been replaced due to a broken wire. It got replaced and now it will not start. I was told it was the computer failed due to the crank sensor problem. Does this sound right?
Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 5:08 PM

JASON SHACKFORD
I just want to make sure I only have to replace the computer to get it running before I purchase it.
Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 5:10 PM
Woah! You better understand you are getting into a car with all kinds of hidden tricks purposely designed in to require expensive trips to the dealer. You are not going to replace an Engine Computer and have any hope the engine will start and run. It will need to be programmed to the vehicle. VW also has numerous other computers that will lock up simply from disconnecting the battery to perform other services. That includes the radio.

A failed sensor is detected by the computer, which sets a related diagnostic fault code. That has been how these systems work since the early 1980's. How could that system work if a computer was damaged by that failed sensor? On most brands, the only thing that could come close to causing a problem is if the 5.0 volt, 8.0 volt, or 10-volt supply to a sensor became grounded, but there are safeguards built in for that too. You simply locate and repair the short, then turn the ignition switch off and back on to reset that power supply.

Also, keep in mind that anytime someone says, "all it needs is, ... ", you can be sure it does not. If it was that easy, they would have already done it. Why sell a car broken when you could get a lot more for it once the repairs are done? What really happened is they tried to fix it and either gave up after butchering other parts, or they found out how expensive it was going to be. The goal is to dump the project off onto some other unsuspecting soul. We call these, "For Sale As Is" cars.
Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 5:51 PM
JASON SHACKFORD
So your saying if I got a new ECM for it it would have to be programmed by a dealer to make it work?
Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:04 PM
JASON SHACKFORD
So your saying if I got a new Ecm for it it would have to be programed by a dealer to make it work?
Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 7:07 PM
Yes, programming it to the vehicle ID number is the first step, then you'll need to diagnose the real cause of the crank / no-start and perform that repair.
Wednesday, January 25th, 2017 AT 12:15 PM