COOLANT LEAKING FROM BETWEEN ENGINE AND FIRE WALL

2003 Ford Explorer

djjones

May, 9, 2014 AT 11:46 PM

I have had the truck for a while and my wife has abused the heck out of it by not keeping up with maintinance when I ask her, Lately it had 2 coolant leaks the firt was a thermastat cover leak the second was a fill tank hose was being rubbed by the belts and it cut a hole in it, I fixed all these and now the coolant is leaking from behind the engine as soon as you pour coolant in it poors right back out. Is this a head gasket leak or is it a hole in the block?

Wrenchtech

May, 10, 2014 AT 4:48 AM

That could be a number of things and will require closer examination. That coulsd be anything from heater hoses, heater core, intake manifold gasket to a freeze plug in the back of the engine.

djjones

May, 13, 2014 AT 2:47 PM

How hard is it to seal a freeze plug leak and what do I need to do it myself

Wrenchtech

May, 13, 2014 AT 2:56 PM

If a freeze plugs rots out, it has to be replaced with a new one. It's a $2 part but the cost totally depends on which one and how accessible it is. Sometimes the engine or transmission has to be removed just to get access to change it. Another issue is that if one freeze plug rots out, you can bet the others aren't far behind.

djjones

May, 13, 2014 AT 4:51 PM

Do you have a diagram of the engine showing the freeze plugs?

Wrenchtech

May, 13, 2014 AT 5:23 PM

There are dozens of freeze plugs over the entire engine on all sides

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement