Coolant leak knock sensor bank 2 sensor 2, where?

BLKTAC
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a bunch of questions and was hoping you could answer. Please see your video for reference. https://youtu.be/NyX6FwLYDuc?t=1086

I had a coolant leak knock sensor bank 2 sensor 2 (back of the motor) that seems to be a common thing on the 5.3 going bad. Do you know where the leak is coming from? Is it a bad seal on the intake manifold? I understand there is a seal because looking at the motor in the valley channel there doesn't appear to be coolant there, especially since the cams there are exposed which I'm fine with. I understand there are seals where the knock sensor goes thank to you and another guy on You Tub pointed them out. Any help would be appreciated.
Monday, January 16th, 2023 AT 9:01 PM

BORIS K

The water entry in the knock sensor is caused by water from either engine wash or possibly rainwater.

Knock sensor 2 is usually affected.

To apply RTV sealant once the inlet manifold is removed.

How to remove intake manifold and replace knock sensors:
https://youtu.be/IOKFqzRILB4

Replace the rear bank knock sensor and build a dam (wall) around the sensor using RTV to divert water away from the sensor. See image 1 below
Apply a bead of RTV silicone sealant approximately 9 mm (3/8 in) wide and 6 mm (1/4 in) high along the outside edge of the ridge on the engine block valley cover around the rear bank knock sensor. Do Not form a complete circle. Leave the rear section open as shown.
From the underside of the intake manifold, completely remove the rear intake manifold seal (foam material).
Reinstall intake manifold

There are various brands of RTV sealant available from online retailers and automotive stores. No need to use red, high temperature, RTV.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Boris
+1
Tuesday, January 17th, 2023 AT 5:43 AM
BLKTAC
Good news Boris, that the advice helped. The bad news is that I forgot to torque down the knock sensors (both of them). So, I have to go back there. I noticed there are new codes, and I may have bought a bad O2 sensor (heater portion doesn't work). Then the bank 1 sensor has a connectivity issue. So the cable might be bad, may have to buy a new knock cable. Besides that, probably going to just install the oil pressure sensor and cam position sensor while I'm at it. But other than that, thanks again for the help.

Warmest Regards,

Daniel
Friday, January 27th, 2023 AT 11:29 PM
BORIS K
Hello Daniel,

Glad to hear that you got the knock sensors sorted.

Let us know if you need any more information.

Cheers, Boris
Monday, January 30th, 2023 AT 2:53 AM

Sponsored links