Coolant flush

CORY2427
  • 2006 DODGE DAKOTA
I was trying to figure out how many gallon of full strength antifreeze I need to do a flush on my truck? Also, how to bleed air out of system? When I am done when will I know when all air is out?
Thursday, October 11th, 2018 AT 8:37 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning.

The system holds about sixteen quarts complete.

If you are going to flush it, drain out all the old coolant. Remove the plugs for the block as well. Then I would remove the thermostat. Then add only water with your flushing agent. And run the truck for about half an hour. Then drain out all your water replace the thermostat with a new one and then add your new coolant. Run the engine at about 1,200 rpm's and watch the coolant level. Add as needed. You will know when the air is gone when you get full heat inside the truck.

Get the 50-50 mix gallons of coolant and add as needed. I would get four gallons of the 50-50 mix.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-flush-and-refill-all-cars

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-thermostat
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 6:03 AM
CORY2427
Would it not be better to get two gallons of full strength because you be getting mostly water in 50/50. Where is the engine plugs at and how do you get them out?
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 6:43 AM
ASEMASTER6371
50-50 is recommended and will protect to -35.

If you use full strength, the temperature will not come up to thermostat temperature and the engine fuel mapping will be off and will set codes for not heating up.

Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 7:47 AM
CORY2427
I know I have to mix it. What I am saying is I am better off to get two gallons of full strength and mix with distilled water then by three jugs of 50/50 because you are pouring more water in truck then antifreeze with the 50/50 jugs. Because you are also going to have water in block where you cannot drain it out.
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 3:48 PM
ASEMASTER6371
50-50 is the proper mix. All you would be doing with your full strength is making two gallons from one gallon of 100%. It will be exactly the same as if you got two gallons of 50-50 coolant.

Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 3:52 PM
CORY2427
What about the water in the block it would dilute it?
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 3:53 PM
ASEMASTER6371
After you open the drains on the block on either side, it will drain all the block. Remember you have to open those plugs to drain either side of the block to remove everything.

Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 4:04 PM
CORY2427
I know but where are the drains on the block or are you talking about pulling freeze plugs out?
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 4:05 PM
ASEMASTER6371
There are small plugs about the middle of the block on each side. They are pipe plugs around 1/4 or 5/16. They are the drains for the block. I do not have a picture of them or I would post.

Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 4:09 PM
CORY2427
Are they underneath the truck towards oil pan or are they on side of the block?
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 4:11 PM
ASEMASTER6371
They are on the side of the block down low by the oil pan.

Found a picture.
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 4:26 PM

Sponsored links