Engine stalls

ETRONIX FIX
  • 2002 DODGE RAM

Driving down street, truck turns off. Will not start again. Codes p0920 p0921 p0999 no bus on cluster

Saturday, May 6th, 2017 AT 10:30 PM

2CARPROS KEN

These are mostly transmission codes can you see if the electrical connector is connected at the transmission correctly?

Please let us know.

Cheers, Ken

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 11:50 AM
GREGFOSTER
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
  • MERGED

At 3500 rpm's the engine cuts out or dies. Obd2 code p1388 comes up.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
  • MERGED

See picture for possible causes. It may be the asd relay or a bad connection pull relay and look for corrosion and or replace relay and use dielectric grease on it prior to install. It could be any of the things listed which a professional would have to scan for.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
LONESTAR409
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
  • MERGED

2002 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 187000 miles

My 2002 Dodge Ram was running fine then this morning I started it and it starts fine but it won't stay running unless I keep pressing on the gas, but as soon as I let off the gas, it dies. From what I've read and heard, it could be a sensor. Any suggestions as to what the problem is? Thanks!

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
  • MERGED

If the battery was recently disconnected or run dead, the engine computer must relearn minimum throttle so it knows when to be in control of idle speed. To do this, drive at highway speed, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
VINNYB44
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
  • MERGED

2002 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My 02 Dodge Ram 1500 just died on me. It was driving fine until the dashboard made a ding noise and told me to check gauges. The engine died but the RPM gauge went hay wire. I could smell fuel but there was no leaks. What is wrong with my truck?

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
  • MERGED

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
VINNYB44
  • MERGED

Would the fuel system cause the RPM gauge to do that? The engine shut off like I turned the key off. I saw your 2ID patch! I was in 3rd brigade 2ID!

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
  • MERGED

Lets do what I've suggested-disregard the Tach for now and comeback with some results.

3rd Bde was back in 1975 @ Camp Gary Owen 7th Cav

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
VINNYB44
  • MERGED

Ok I looked at the spark plug wires and I want to make sure that I am diconnecting the right wires. They dont look like the traditional spark plug wires and have a plastic connector. Are these the correct ones?

3rd Brigade is out of ft. Lewis now. I serve with them in Iraq.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
  • MERGED

Sounds like you have a DIS or COP ignition system. Use a jumper sparkplug wire to check for spark let me know.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
RYX
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
  • 116 MILES
  • MERGED

My Dodge died going down the road. Its locked up and will not turn over. I found water in the oil pan. It never got hot. I must have blown out a big hunk of head gasket? It was running normally before. What am I looking at to fix it? Best and worst case im the origanal owner. Changed oil regularly. Treated real nice.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
FIXITMR
  • MERGED

I did everything right and still had problems. Just the way it goes sometimes. Maybe a cracked head or just bad gasket.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
JADCONCEPT
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
  • MERGED

2002 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98141 miles

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
My truck stalls at idle, (Completely dies) and hesitates when giving it gas from idle to 1000RPM, From 1000RPM and above it runs perfect. After about every 3rd start it blows the ASD fuse. Ive also noticed that the lights dim a little when its sputtering at idle and comming down from higher RPM's. After the engine warms up it sounds like its misfiring, it gives me a code that I have coils malfuncting, but I tested all my coils and they are all in working condition.I just put a remanufactured engine in. Ive Replaced the following items. Radiator, Fuel Pump, Fuel regulator/filter, MAP Sensor, IAC Sensor, TPS Sensor, Camshaft Sensor, ASD relay. I Check the timing and its good. Im going to replace the Crackshaft Sensor tommorow. Ive checked all the wiring and nothing that I can see is shorted out. I Reset my ECU after every new part I installed. Im starting to believe maby its my PCM. I was able to turn the key off and on 3 times to check my DTC codes but now its giving me nothing even though the check engine lights on. Im starting to run out of ideas, if you can think of anything I could be missing that would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:40 AM
  • MERGED

Scan the computer for codes and also clean out the EGR valve.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:40 AM
JAMES MITCHELL
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
  • MERGED

All my warning lights lit up then the truck shut down

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:40 AM
  • MERGED

Yes, if the battery goes dead and the alt isn't working, it will stall.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:40 AM
WYODODGE
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
  • MERGED

2002 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 58600 miles

2002 dodge ram 5.9L is stalling and hard starting after sitting for a few hours. After engine warms up runs fine. When it stalls the fuel gauge and amp gauge goes to zero like the key has been turned off but everything else still has power. I have changed fuel pump relay and it still does it. I was in a wreck about 8 months ago could I have a loose connection some where?

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:40 AM
  • MERGED

Hi:
Yes something could have come loose. When the problem happens, wiggle the wiring harness coming from the computer to see if anything changes.

Let me know what you find.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:40 AM
RJTHEFUTUREMECHANIC
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
  • MERGED

2002 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 149, 99 miles

Whenever I start this truck it has a fluctuation at idle from 600 to 900 rpm, then as I put it in drive it goes normally. Thats one problem, the other is when im driving, I would give it gas and when I do, there seems to be no power at all and and w.O.T, after letting off the accelerator, it tries to die. Thinking it may be a bad map or throttle sensor or maybe even my fuel injectors. Also know that my alternator is not holding the charge it should be, so would that affect my problem also?

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 11:40 AM