Code P0463

TONY02
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
So I replaced my headliner today and put a new one in then when I started the car up my gas gauge was on E and I get a code of p0463. I’m not sure if it’s just a coincidence and was bound to happen or if I maybe ripped a wire when putting the headliner back in and didn’t notice. Before I do go and take everything back apart I would like to know maybe if that code relates to something with a wire inside the car or if that wire is outside the car. (Before doing the headliner I didn’t have this problem)
Friday, July 31st, 2020 AT 12:39 PM

TONY02
Also, the power windows, radio, and sun visor lights quit working the same time this happened.
Friday, July 31st, 2020 AT 2:03 PM
AL514
Hello, sorry to hear about your issue. Can I please have the VIN number so we can look up the correct wiring diagram?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 8:33 AM
TONY02
1FMZU63K44UA64273.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 8:36 AM
AL514
Okay, is it 2 or 4 wheel drive? And it says it's flex fuel? Correct?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 8:40 AM
TONY02
Yes, it s rear wheel drive and it s flex fuel.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 8:41 AM
AL514
Okay, so the p0463 is "Fuel Level sensor circuit high input". Usually with a high input code, the sensor has lost a ground to it. I'm going through the diagrams, trying to tie all this faults together. Did you have to disconnect any wiring while replacing the headliner?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 8:54 AM
TONY02
Yes I did and also there was a black wire that ripped on the driver side on the very back when I was taking a panel off, but I put it back temporary to see if that would solve it and I still get nothing.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 8:59 AM
TONY02
The wire I disconnected was one by the A pillar and one by the B pillar.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 9:00 AM
AL514
Okay, in the 2nd diagram here you'll see 2 ground wires, ones black/light blue and the other is just black. I would start by checking these ground wires, that they're tight and the connection is clean. I will keep adding things as I find them here. But it sounds like you may be missing one of these grounds.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 9:08 AM
TONY02
Okay and the wires that I disconnected was by the C pillar and D pillar not by the B pillar I messed up, but I ll look at the wiring see what I can find.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 9:12 AM
AL514
Do you remember what color they were by chance? And do the interior lights come on when you open the drivers side door?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 9:17 AM
TONY02
I don t but they were a couple of mixed colors but I do remember see the one that was ripped was black.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 9:19 AM
AL514
I think this is definitely going to be a disconnected ground wire, probably near the pillars you were working around. Because the power wiring for the radio, windows, instrument cluster and interior lights all come from different fuses and locations. The truck has a lot of ground wires for sure. So make sure any connectors you unplugged are fitting correctly, sometimes the pins can get bent on not make good contact inside a connector. We call it Pin fitment. I cant find much on pillar C though. Is there anything else not working? Do the interior lights come on when you open the drivers side door? And did you fix the black wire that was ripped? Edit: I would take a real good look at this Joint Connector at pillar D. It has a ton of black ground wires running through it. There may be a couple lose pins in there. (Pic 2) Edit: You mentioned the black wire that ripped was on the driver side rear, was it this connector (pic 3 red arrow)?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 10:17 AM
TONY02
Okay, so I check the wire connectors that I took off by A, C, and D pillar and they do have ground and are getting power as for the wire that was ripped I thought it was black but as I got more access to it, the wire was actually a brown and white color but I fixed it. I still have the same problem.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 3:39 PM
TONY02
I m going to go head and now take the headliner back off and see what I can find there.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 3:40 PM
TONY02
I m uploading a couple pictures to show the connectors that I have check that have good ground that I ended up disconnecting when I took the headliner off.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 3:43 PM
AL514
Okay, did you happen to unbolt any wires going to the chassis anywhere? I wouldn't think you would have to take the whole headliner out again. It looks like all the connections are behind the pillars, and run along to edge of the liner. In that picture of the liner there's seems to be only those 2 main areas where there's connectors. Unless you remember undoing some towards the middle of it. It's strange that you only lost the gas gauge, radio and windows. Since everything seems to run through bulk connectors. I'd pull the pillars off first, even the A and B pillars, just to be sure. Something may have gotten pulled on without you noticing. Looks like a lot of work taking that liner down. Does the truck start and run okay? There's a ground that black/light blue that's one of the grounds for the instrument cluster, the rest all seem to be black wires. Edit: if you end up really not finding any loose grounds, it wouldn't hurt to check some fuses and batter connections, but I don't see how that could happen unless a power wire hit a ground in the process. The only other thing I can think of is that something is messing with the CAN bus data network. But you'd have other symptoms if that was the case.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 4:58 PM
TONY02
Yes, I did end up taking the head liner off again but didn t see anything. Everything I tested had a good ground I was using a test light to verify it. Then I figured if everything had good ground then it s not getting any power, and it turns out it was a fuse inside the car, under the driver side dash. Put a new one in and everything is working fine now. My guess was that it blew because I ended up cutting some wires because the previous owner had a TV inside but took it out and those were left over wires and I m guessing it ended up touching medal and shorting out.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 6:37 PM
AL514
Well that's good I didn't know there were cut wires. I would have had you check fuses first. But at least it's fixed. Just make sure you erase any codes that are stored.
+1
Sunday, August 2nd, 2020 AT 6:51 PM
TONY02
Thanks, yes I did clear the codes and if u don t mind me asking where do u get the wiring diagrams from they are very nicely detailed and helped me through this diagnosis.
Wednesday, August 5th, 2020 AT 12:18 PM

Sponsored links