Clunk when realising brake pedal

JR47
  • 2008 CHRYSLER 300
I get a clunk sound when releasing the brake pedal when slowing to a stop or slowing down to a low speed and continuing to drive. That's the only time when it can be heard and it's coming from the front right it seems. I checked all the brakes and the only thing I found wrong was a stuck caliper slide pin on the front left but everything works fine other than that. I did find a lower ball joint with a ripped boot on the front right but I did see something that looks concerning and I took a picture of it. It's a control arm that connects to the sub-frame and it looks like the bushing failed. I just want another opinion on it.
Friday, September 20th, 2019 AT 3:12 PM

Welcome to 2CarPros.

It does appear to be bad. Have you trued prying on it to see if there is excessive play? Also is the ball joint good? Did you replace the caliper slide pin?

As far as the bushing, I believe this requires the entire control arm to be replaced. If you find when prying on the control arm there is play, it should be replaced. I will provide the directions for doing it, but it will also require an alignment, which is part of the directions listed. All attached pictures correlate with the directions.

____________________________

2008 Chrysler 300 V6-3.5L
RWD
Vehicle Steering and Suspension Suspension Control Arm Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Front Lower Control Arm - Installation RWD
RWD
INSTALLATION

pic 1

NOTE: If installing a lower control arm engine cradle bolt that is a wheel alignment adjustment bolt (1) (lengthwise grooved shaft (2)), make sure to install it in the same position which it was in upon removal. For more details on installation of this special bolt, See: Alignment > Procedures > Wheel Alignment Procedures.

Pic 2

1. Slide lower control arm (4) into position in engine cradle and install mounting bolt from rear.

Pic 3

2. Install nut (1) on lower control arm cradle bolt, but do not tighten at this time.

Pic 4

CAUTION: Before installing knuckle to lower control arm, measure height of ball joint seal boot (1) mounted on knuckle. If seal boot height is above 25.5 mm, any air inside seal boot must be expelled. To do so, follow these steps.
- Tip ball joint stud completely to one side.
- Using thumb and index finger, gently squeeze seal boot together at center expelling any air. Do not allow grease to be release.
- Push down very top of seal boot.
- Return ball joint stud to original "centered" position.
- Measure ball joint seal boot height (1) making sure it is within specification.
- Wipe any grease from ball joint stud.

Pic 5

3. Pull knuckle (1) downward and position lower control arm (4) over ball joint stud. Release knuckle, guiding stud into lower control arm. Install NEW nut (5) on ball joint stud attaching lower control arm (4) to knuckle (1). Tighten nut by holding ball joint stud with a hex wrench while turning nut with a wrench. Tighten nut using crow foot wrench on torque wrench to 68 Nm + 90 turn (50 ft. Lbs. + 90 turn).

Pic 6

4. Install wheel speed sensor head (4) into knuckle and install mounting screw (3). Tighten screw to 11 Nm (95 in. Lbs.).
5. Attach wheel speed sensor cable and routing clip (2) to brake flex hose routing bracket (5).

Pic 7

6. Install lower shock mounting bolt (3) attaching shock assembly (1) to lower control arm (4). Do not tighten bolt at this time.

Pic 8

7. Install tire and wheel assembly (1) See: Wheels and Tires > Removal and Replacement > Tires and Wheels - Installation. Tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 150 Nm (110 ft. Lbs.) (Police - 190 Nm (140 ft. Lbs.)).
8. Lower vehicle.

CAUTION: Because stabilizer bar is disconnected at cradle it is important to use extra care while moving vehicle to alignment rack/drive-on lift.

9. Position vehicle on an alignment rack/drive-on lift.
10. Tighten lower shock mounting bolt (3) to 174 Nm (128 ft. Lbs.).

Pic 9

11. Perform wheel alignment. See: Alignment > Procedures > Wheel Alignment Procedures

CAUTION: If the control arm engine cradle bolt is a wheel alignment adjustment bolt (lengthwise grooved shaft (2)), be sure to only tighten the nut. Do not rotate the bolt head (1) or damage to the bushing will occur.

Pic 10

12. Once camber is found to be within specifications, using a crowfoot wrench, tighten lower control arm cradle bolt nut (1) to 176 Nm (130 ft. Lbs.) While holding the bolt stationary.

Pic 11

CAUTION: Because of stabilizer bushing outer shape, it is very important to install bushings in position discussed in following step.

13. Utilizing slit in bushing, install stabilizer bar bushing (1) against locating collar on stabilizer bar (2) as shown. Make sure slit in bushing is positioned toward rear of vehicle.

Pic 12

14. Install stabilizer bar bushing retainer halves (1)(2) around bushing (3).

Pic 13

15. Install bolts (2) securing stabilizer bar bushing retainer halves (1) to cradle. Tighten bolts to 60 Nm (44 ft. Lbs.).

Pic 14

16. Install stabilizer bar heat shield (3) over stabilizer bar bushing retainer. Install mounting screws (1).
17. Install belly pan. See: Underbody Cover > Removal and Replacement > Belly Pan - Removal

________________________________

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care,
Friday, September 20th, 2019 AT 8:46 PM

Sponsored links