Key replacement and programming?

TOMBOYXTREME
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I very recently bought this car. I drove for 2 days, nothing wrong at all. Someone stole my keys. I thought if I replaced the ignition, I would get new keys and be on my way. Nope, AutoZone assured me I was getting a chip key with the ignition, nope. All the lights work on the dash, won't turn over. I tried to jump it nope. I went to the Chrysler dealer and got the pin code to have a new key programmed. Called an auto locksmith he hooked up code reader and it wouldn't even come on. He said he didn't know what to do. I checked all the fuses, all look good. I don't know what to do and don't know who to ask for help.
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2022 AT 6:12 AM

STEVE W.
Okay, replacing the keys won't help because the new keys still need to be programmed into the system. The catch is that car comes in two builds, the convertible and the 4 doors are Chrysler built vehicles while the 2-door coupe is actually a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and they use different security systems. The cylinders will interchange but the keys are different. First be sure which one you have, Coupe or 4 door and convertible. Next take your old cylinder and have a new key cut to fit it and specify which vehicle type it is before they cut the key. Now take it to the dealer and have them program in the replacement keys, because you lost the keys the process is different than just adding extra keys. They should be able to deal with that though.
Thursday, November 24th, 2022 AT 5:37 AM

Sponsored links