REPLACED TIMING BELT ON DODGE CARA, NOW IT WON'T START.

Chrysler Van

EdP

I replaced the timing belt on 97 Dodge caravan, now it won't start. While changing the belt, I didn't rotate either the cam shafts or crankshaft. I put the new timing belt on and tried to start the caravan. It fires, and sputters, but doesn't run. It sounds like the timing is off. What do you think I should do? Thanks

EdP

I forgot to mention that I am trying to start it without putting all the accessories back on. I have the timing belt on, and the hoses all connected, but haven't put the sepentine belt on to the alternator. This way I can check for leaks before I have to dissassemble everything. Will it start without the alternator?

twainatic

Did you make sure the timing marks were lined up between the crank and cam before putting the belt on?

EdP

Van still won't start only sputters. I have taken the timing belt off again. This time when I put it on I pulled it over the front cam pulley counter clockwise. Each time I do that and then put the spring on the tensioner, it pulls the cam pulley a slight degree counterclockwise or clockwise depending on where the slack in the belt is. I am guessing that the timing is off, since the car sputters and tries to start, but isn't running on all cylinders. It was running fine when I took it apart to fix the leak in the water pump. I put a new timing belt on while I was in there. I did put the serpentine blet on this time when I tried to start it, yet it still just sputters.
Suggestions are welcomed. The distributor on this model appears not to turn to adjust the timing.

EdP

The problem wa that the timing marks were not lined up right. One of th ecams had jumped when I put the tensioner spring on the timing belt. Darn thing wanted to turn 1/4 turn with the lightest nudge. I finally put the blet on that cam and turned it to the mark, then I put the belt on the other cam and crankshaft. Car runs fine now. Thanks

Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500