My Engine will not turn over no noise at all

Tiny
BPCBINFO
  • MEMBER
  • CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
About a month ago I got a new starter. I have a 1984 Town & Country, Labarron, 2.6 Chrystler. Well today I went to start my car and it would not start. I had the battery jumpted 2 times. Then I got a brand new battery and it worked fine, I stopped and even turned off the car and it started right up. Then I came home and the car was sitting for a good 3 hours and now I can not start the car again. It seems like maybe energy is being taken out of the battery. Can you help me find out what is wrong with my car. My car never has trouble its an excellent car and I take excellent care of it Please help me. Could it be the alternator?
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Saturday, September 30th, 2006 AT 9:17 PM

2 Replies

Tiny
ORLANDONEWTON
  • MEMBER
JI'm a little confused by your car description - Town & Country, Labarron - not that it matters much.

The electrical issue is one of two things - a constant drain on the battery regardless of key position, or a bad alternator. If the drive home was at night with the lights on and lasted more than an hour (which it doesn't sound like) the suspect the alternator. But it really sounds more like you have a constant drain on the battery. This is easy to test - if you have a battery charger with a guage for current draw. Disconnect the battery ground (keep the positive on) and hook up the charger. Check the guage - now touch the ground lead to the battery ground with the charger on and check the charger guage again - if it went up significantly (something more than 1 or 2 amps) then you've got something draining the battery.

To find the drain, hook the battery back up, attach the charger, and notice the current draw. Pull your fuses one at a time until the current draw drops by 1 or 2 amps or more. When that happens, you've found the circuit with the problem - the fix might be more of a challenge. For fun, see if the cable from the battery to the starter is routed near the exhaust or any hot area that might have melted the insulation over time.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, October 8th, 2006 AT 12:28 AM
Tiny
BPCBINFO
  • MEMBER
I thought it was the generator also. But I come to find out I brought my car to the Dealer and it was the whole negative battery cable. Can you believe that? I was so thrilled it was that and not something thatwould have cost me a arm & a leg LOL. But I truly appreciate your reply so very much. God Bless you all for being there for me. Lets keep in touch
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, October 9th, 2006 AT 3:03 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides