TRANNY FLUID IN THE RADIATOR

1996 Chrysler Town and Country

wamaroe

March, 1, 2010 AT 10:52 PM

1996 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 111000 miles

Tranny fluid in the radiator overflow: About a week ago (until today), my van would on initial start up for the day; go down the street about 200 feet to a stop sign. After stopping, there would be no power to the wheels. Shifted the lever back and forth between D & R several times and it would start moving and be good for the rest of the day. Today the problem persisted for about a mile in stop & go traffic. Fluid level was down over 1 quart so I replenished. While doing so I thought to check the antifreeze; et voila! Tranny fluid in my antifreeze, but no evidence of water on the tranny dipstick (after adding quart and running 1 mile). I know the radiator breeched, but am perplexed as to why the radiator fluid didn't breech into the tranny. At what pressure is the tranny fluid pumped into the radiator (tranny cooler)?

Cooling Fan Problem

Radiator On

1 ANSWER

Jacobandnickolas

March, 2, 2010 AT 6:35 AM

That isn't uncomon. The radiator needs replaced. As far as pressure, around 20psi.

wamaroe

March, 4, 2010 AT 2:11 PM

Follow up: Cleaned up cooling system with teaspoon of Dawn dishsoap & refilling cooling loop with water, after removing thermostat. Ran car for a few minutes until fluid was warm. Important to remove heater hose and flush well when draining soap flush. Found no evidence of water in the transmission fluid while changing as a precaution. Transmission works well now.

crazychick

September, 29, 2012 AT 2:55 AM

I have same problem but its as soon as its started the first time of the day I put her in gear and the wheels don't move. But I don't have tranny fluid in the antifreeze?

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX