2007 Chrysler Sebring Can't get car out of park

• 1 POST

2007 Chrysler Sebring Automatic 50000 miles

I can't get the car out of park. I have my foot on the brake. The car is on level ground. I can turn the car on, turn the wheels, my brake lights work.

I also read to try turning the key just a little, but not where the car will start, then try to put it in neutral - that doesn't work either. Thanks in advance for your help!

Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 8:32 PM

You can try a self-diagnostic test. To activate self diagnostic program:

With the ignition switch in the OFF position, depress the TRIP and RESET buttons.
While holding the TRIP and RESET button turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Continue to hold the TRIP and RESET buttons until the word CODE appears in the odometer windows (about five seconds ) then release the buttons. If a problem exists, the system will display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's). If no problem exists, the code 999 (End Test) will momentarily appear. You may get a P0928 code, it's the bsti, or Brake transmission saftey interlock.
Theory of Operation The Brake Transmission Safety Interlock (BTSI) is a safety feature that prohibits movement of the shift lever out of park unless certain conditions are met. The Cluster controls the BTSI solenoid. The Cluster will engage the BTSI solenoid when the module detects the depression of the brake pedal thus allowing the transmission shift lever to move from the park position to any other position. Failure of the control circuit may inhibit the movement of the shift lever and cause this DTC to set. When Monitored: When the ignition is in accessory, run or start position. Set Condition: This DTC will set if the Cluster detects a problem with the BTSI solenoid control circuit. The DTC will remain active until the Cluster no longer detects a failure of the BTSI control circuit.

Will send testing info by email.

Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 5:13 AM