2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Brake peddle won't go down, no pow

GMICKEYSR
  • 2006 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
Opened hood, heard vacum sound. Located what seemed to be a hose missing. Can't find hose. Unit sucking vacumn when I put finger over hole it stops the engine.

This device is located on the right firewall looking from the front. Is there a hose or some sort of filter that has fallen off.
Wednesday, March 17th, 2010 AT 5:25 PM

If you can, drive it to a repair shop where they can take a quick peek at it. Or, you can try to upload a photo. I suspect / hope the engine will not stall if you put your finger on it slowly. The Engine Computer pulses an unusual type of motor to various positions to control air flow at idle to control idle speed. A vacuum leak adds too much air to the engine so the computer closes that air control passage. When you plug that leak, since the throttle position sensor is not moving, the computer isn't expecting to see a change in engine speed. The sudden drop in speed catches the computer by surprise. It pulses the Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor to increase air flow, but the motor can't respond fast enough, so the engine stalls.

+1
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 2:39 AM
Woops. Just reread the subject line about the brake pedal. You might be seeing the vacuum hose going to the power brake booster. The booster sits on the left side right in front of the brake pedal, but the hose could come from the right side of the engine.

-2
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 2:46 AM
GMICKEYSR
Thanks cardiodoc,
I did go to a dealer, a plug came out of the booster that normally goes to the cruise control if equiped.
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 6:40 AM
Happy to hear it's handled. Thanks for visiting the site. Come back when you have a difficult problem.

+1
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 5:27 PM