BRAKES

2005 Chrysler Pacifica

jimmycc

October, 20, 2009 AT 8:33 PM

Brakes problem
2005 Chrysler Pacifica 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 45000 miles

The breaks on my car have been replaced one time by the dealership. The car stops fine and the breaks usually feel firm. I bought the car new.

However, sometimes the break pedal has to be pushed further than normal and feels spongy. It does not go to the floor but close. Pumping it does not help. Then later it is firm again- no problems. I pulled the wheels off and inspected the pads on all four disc breaks. About 50% pad is left. There is plenty of break fluid. I have never had to add break fluid.

mhpautos

October, 21, 2009 AT 12:22 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

The symptoms you mention can be that of a by-passing master cylinder, this is when the brake fluid passes past the seal of the pressure cup and allows the piston to travel further down the master cylinder with out increasing pressure, this will result in a lower than normal pedal under breaking, this is normally noticed under light brake pressure as with heaver pressure then cups tend to seal better on the internal wall of the master cylinder, I would first have the brake fluid flushed and re bleed, start here.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front