Power Lift Gate

TSPITZ
  • 2004 CHRYSLER PACIFICA
  • AWD
My power liftgate will not open. The car is in park and unlocked. I push the exterior button on the liftgate, but the latch will not release. I do hear a faint clicking noise indicating that the fuse is probably not blown. It seems like the latch motor is stuck. However, I am not able to locate the manual release inside of the vehicle. The liftgate will also not open automatically when using the button on the key or on the inside console. It beeps like it is going to open, but the latch does not release.

This problem began in very cold temperatures during snowy weather. Originally, we thought that the lock assembly might be frozen, but it has thawed out and still will not work.

I would like to begin by opening the liftgate manually. I have purchased access to the online manual through this website, but it does not provide details on how to open the liftgate latch manually.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 AT 11:09 AM

JACK42
The CS utilizes an electronic liftgate release system. In the unlikely event that the vehicle losses power or the electric release system fails the following procedure can be used to open the rear liftgate.

Obtain a large flat-bladed screwdriver, enter the vehicle and approach the liftgate.
On the lower portion of the liftgate trim panel you will find a 25mm plastic plug. Remove the plug from the trim panel by gently prying out.

Insert the screwdriver through the access hole and find the slot in the beige release lever. Rotate the release lever up and to the right (when facing rearward), Hold the release lever until the latch has cleared the striker.
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 8:08 AM
TSPITZ
I finally got around to attempting this repair. I was able to remove the upper trim panel and to get started on the lower panel, but the lower panel is secured by 6 screws, four of which can only be accessed when the liftgate is open.

Of course, the problem is that I can't get the liftgate open.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
-1
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 10:47 AM
TSPITZ
I was able to bend the lower trim assembly and reach down to pull up the manual release that is at the rear of the liftgate latch assembly. It's possible that the manual release could be reached through a hole in the lower trim in trim of the liftgate latch, though you would have to know exactly what your were trying to do and have some sort of jig to reach the release.

It appears that the motor on the liftgate latch has failed. I separated the motor from the mechanical portion of the liftgate latch and actuated the hatch switch. The solenoid in the mechnical latch seems to work, but the motor did not turn. Looks like all of those cold mornings at the ski hill caught up with the motor.

Thanks.
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 11:37 AM
JACK42
Good find. From what I could tel it is a bit of a problem with those vehicles.
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 11:44 AM
TSPITZ
Any recommendations on where to find parts?
+1
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 12:11 PM
JACK42
I would probably stick with the dealer. Their parts prices are alot more competitive these days and they fit correctly
-1
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 1:50 PM
REDMAN3188
I also have trouble with my lift gate. I bought a pacifica for parts and the liftgate was working and I thought that on mines it was a bad liftgate motor and switched it and all good now here are the diagrams I used to fix the problem (below)
-1
Wednesday, July 27th, 2016 AT 1:09 PM