BRAKE PAD RESIDUE

Chrysler

jeffchele

June, 26, 2006 AT 10:06 PM

Is it normal to have excess brake pad residue on the outside of open faced wheels. A friends car has a lot of what I think is brake pad residue on the outside of the open wheels where you can see some of the brake pads. The pads look good but I have not taken off wheel to check. I was wondering if it could be something else or if it was the pads. The residue is a thinck dust that smears like it has oil in it but doesn't seem like it. It is smeared all over both front wheels on her newly purchased car but the car is a couple of years old. It is not on the back wheels at all, only the front. It is a ford escape about a 2003.

Front Disc Pads

Rear Brake Pads

vandragon

June, 27, 2006 AT 10:39 AM

Very normal for a ford. Most newer cars come with metalic pads on the front, which create a lot of grey to black dust. Just don't try knocking it off with a water hose until the wheels and rotors cool, or the rotors might warp.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front