AIR CONDITIONING DRYER UNIT

• kenenoon
  • Chrysler

I was told I need a new condenser for my ac, but 1 mechanic says I have to replace the dryer unit also. But another mechanic says they never replace the dryer unit unless they replace the compressor ( for warranty reasons) he says its reccommended to replace the dryer unit every 3 years but nobody does, its a waste of money. I trying to figure out what to do and not waste money. Any ideas?

Wednesday, May 10th, 2006 AT 3:41 PM

• losone

The dryer does exactly what the name implies, it removes moisture from the refrigerant. It also holds refrigerant oil. R0134A inhibits moisture. It is worse than R-12 freon

My rule is to replace the dryer anythime the system is opened to atmosphere. Moisture causes internal A/C issues especially the compressor and reduces cooling efficiency.

There is no rul that I know of after 40 + years as a garage owner to replace the dryer every 3 years except as a sales gimic.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2006 AT 4:51 PM